Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Great Pumpkin


When Samantha was diagnosed with her peanut/ tree nut allergy, so many thoughts ran through my head- How will I explain this to other parents? How will I be able to keep her safe when she is away from me? And then Halloween creeped up on us and 'OH MY GOODNESS WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO??'  "She can NOT go trick or treating!!" (that was my initial thought) But that is not the right way to handle the situation.  So, I was talking to a friend one day and she suggested that 'The Great Pumpkin' come and visit our house (kind of like Santa, Easter Bunny, etc).  AH HA! What a great idea!  So, now, Samantha goes trick or treating just like everyone else, the only difference is that I carry safe candy for her and her friends to eat while they are out together.  At the end of the evening, we give our candy to the other children.  By the next morning, 'The Great Pumpkin' has visited the house and left a little (non edible) gift for Samantha.  This seems to work well for us and I hope that it gives some parents a good idea for their children that deal with life threatening food allergies.

  
2009
2010
2011

No comments:

Post a Comment